Saturday, December 24, 2011

What are you waiting for?

Okay, okay.  I know it's been quite some time since my last post.  Two months to be exact.  So let me first apologize to anyone who may be reading and receiving anything from what i've written so far.
Not sharing for two months definitely does not mean that there's nothing I want to say.  Actually, there has been one specific issue that just won't leave me alone.  After sharing with a friend and having her INSIST that I not only write this blog post, but also pen a book addressing the same subject (ummm...we'll see), I finally decided to share.
I'd really love to address those of us who are in the process of waiting...for something...anything.  Waiting to chase a dream, waiting to start a business, waiting to get married, waiting to have kids, waiting to move, waiting to travel, waiting to buy that pair of diamond earrings, waiting to try something new, waiting to have fun, waiting to LIVE.  Now, I think this one will probably speak to women more than men (maybe) simply because I am a woman and i'm all too familiar with the things that women wait for.  But honestly, I think we could all benefit from asking ourselves one question.  
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
When I was a child I knew two things beyond a shadow of a doubt.  One was that I wanted to be an actor...and a singer...and a dancer (even though I told everyone that I wanted to be a lawyer/brain surgeon/open heart surgeon because my sister just KNEW that she wanted to be a baby doctor and I felt like I had to one-up her...lol...crazy, I know).  The other thing that I was completely certain of was that I wanted to travel.  I wanted to see the world.  It's always been my desire to turn over every rock, peek in every cave, watch the sun set from every beach in every country in the world.  So when I was old enough to travel by myself I was so excited to venture out into the world.  But to my dismay, I started telling people where I was going and an overwhelming number of people responded, "Why are you doing that?  Why are you going by yourself?  Aren't you scared?  You should wait!" To which I responded "Wait for what?".  To which some random person would say "Well, you know.  Wait till you get married.  Let your husband take you."
Ummm...really?  Why?  I have the money, time and desire NOW.  Why wait until God only knows when to do what's feasible right now?
This is just one of the many experiences that i've had that brings me to my question.  What are we (you, me, all of us) waiting for?  Many of us ladies have a desire to be in a relationship and be married.  And we're waiting for Mr. Right to come rescue us from our hum-drum life and sweep us off our feet.  Many of us believe that God has a specific man especially for us or that God will send the right one at the right time.  Ok...cool.  So what are you doing until he comes?  Are you living the fascinating life that takes you from your apartment to work to church to your apartment to work to church to THE MARKET to your apartment to work to church?  Or, are you truly living?  Because, trust me ladies, the one for you may not find you if all you ever do is go from your apartment to work to church, rinse, repeat.  And if he does, you won't have anything to talk about that doesn't involve your apartment, work, or church.    Mr. Right may find you while you're on that vacation in Paris; while you're finally taking or teaching that class you've always wanted to take or teach; while you're going to a new cafe for lunch; while you're living your life!
All too often, we put an enjoyable life on hold because we are waiting for a list of things to happen before we allow ourselves to start living.  We watch (and sometimes help) other people's dreams come true, other people live a full, happy life and we sit back and say "Well, i'm waiting for a, b, and c to happen before I do that".  Meanwhile, life is steadily passing us by.  
I'm here to encourage you to STOP WAITING.  
Now I understand we can't always jump in head first.  Often times we have to wait for the proper time and place to do many things.  But, while waiting for the proper time and place for certain endeavors, some sort of preparation can happen to ready ourselves for the proper time and place.  On the other hand, some things can happen simply when we say "Okay, i'm ready/willing/able to (insert fabulous life experience here!)".  And when we make that decision and do that thing, whatever it is, our lives will be made much richer because of it.  There will be a new story to tell, a new adventure to share, perhaps a new friendship or bond formed and our boldness may encourage someone else to be bold and finally do the thing they've been waiting and wanting to do.
Folks, we're coming to the close of a year.  Now is a good time to start.  Allow yourself to begin dreaming and living again or maybe for the first time.  Take a trip, take a class, write that book, start that business, buy those diamond earrings!  Don't wait for any person or thing to come along to make your life better.  Make your life better, whatever that is for you, by giving yourself permission to experience the best life you can, today! 
Live your ultimate life TODAY!     

1 comment:

donna said...

That was good Tryphena! Time to "LIVE" life!!! The older we all get, the more apparent that becomes, too!!! (speaking from experience)
:-)

Post a Comment